Genealogy of the Lowe-Bader Family of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Creating My Family Archive


A few months ago, I was in a Zoom virtual meeting with my genealogy research group. One of the members asked about where to find archival materials for storing family photographs and heirlooms. We fell into a deep discussion about preservation and organization of a ‘family archive.’ I admitted that while I had inherited many photographs, papers and artifacts from both my parents, I hadn’t done much to preserve them. I’d scanned a significant number of photographs and documented the important family papers as they applied to my genealogy research. But the materials themselves languished in bins and boxes in the attic. Someone noted that an attic is a poor storage location as the temperature fluctuations and moisture could cause damage and deterioration. 

As we were in the middle of the COVID pandemic, and I really needed a project, I set a goal to create a proper archive. The plan was was to not only preserve and protect all my family photos and memorabilia but to organize the archive in such a way that I could easily find any item quickly.

By the time I was finished, I had gone through six steps.

Step 1: The first task was to designate a temperature-controlled location for the archive and to get everything out of the attic. A large steamer trunk in a spare bedroom seemed ideal. But that meant removing what was already stored in the trunk. Some was re-homed elsewhere in the house and the rest was donated to charity.

Step 2: Now that I had a receptacle, I needed archive-quality materials to organize and store the different items. I purchased what I needed from a local art supply store that carried non-acidic boxes suitable for preserving materials, both cardboard for regular items and waterproof vinyl for the special items. 

Step 3: Sorting and organizing took the most time. I dragged everything out of the attic and began going through each photograph, document, letter, newspaper clipping and artifact. I tried to identify the subjects of the photographs using a magnifying glass. I labelled items using non-damaging archive-safe pens and pencils.

Step 4: I grouped the materials into categories for each of my parents and their families as well as for our combined family. I separated out military and career photographs and memorabilia. Each category was put into its own small box. I used a label-maker to mark each one.

Step 5: Scanning of the special items was done after the items were boxed. Even though I had thought I’d scanned all the most important photographs years earlier, I found some I’d missed. For example, in the many small prints that were used back in the 1940s and 1950s, the magnifying glass had revealed photographs of my parents’ wedding day that I had never recalled seeing.

Step 6: Finally, all the items were moved into the steamer trunk, safely contained in labelled acid-free boxes, folders, or paper.

Since then, I have had to locate a few items, and it was a joy to open the trunk and see the neatly stacked boxes knowing the family archive is safe. Sorting the items made me aware of memorabilia I had forgotten and allowed me to pass it along to the next generation or designate it for future bequests.

Lessons Learned

✦ Store archival materials in a temperature-controlled area: do not store in an attic or garage that can get hot in the summer or cold in the winter; also do not store in a damp basement as moisture can result in mold and mildew, which can completely destroy photographs and documents. 

✦ Pack family archive materials in breathable containers: trunks and cardboard boxes are better than sealed plastic tubs, which can cause paper to sweat; some plastic also gasses off acids, which can damage paper and photographs; if using plastic, ensure it is safe for archival purposes

✦ If displaying original photographs, ensure they are framed using archival mats and glass: light, moisture and acids can cause them to deteriorate; if possible, frame reproductions and store the originals; if you must display originals, ensure that the originals have been scanned and the files backed-up. 

✦ Ideally, put all items in acid-free boxes, sleeves, folders or envelopes (note that most paper and cardboard manufactured in Canada is acid-free). 

✦ Wrap nicknacks and individual precious items in acid-free tissue paper and ensure that each item is not touching other items; and never stack loose items. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam, your comment must be approved before it appears. Thank-you for your patience.